Take care of your skin with a healthy diet
“You are what you eat”, goes the old saying, but what is likely more accurate is: “Your skin is what you eat.”
Skin is ever a reflection of your diet and if it is not clear, it can be a sign of poor eating happens or generally a reflection of poor health.
In that vein, here are 10 foods that promote great skin. Healthy eating will help promote a beautiful complexion and help keep your skin free of moles, blemishes and bumps.
1. Olive oil – Consumption of olive oil — more than 8.4 g or 2 tsp per day — has been associated with fewer signs of aging (31%) compared to those that ate less than 3.8 g or about 1 tsp. Olive oil finished ahead other oils that were also tested. They included peanut oil and sunflower oil.
2. Tomatoes – A 2008 UK study showed that 5 tsp of tomato paste eaten daily with 1 tsp of olive oil over 12 weeks, resulted in 33% more protection from sunburn compared to a test group that ate only olive oil. Lycopene, found in cooked, processed tomatoes, improves skin’s natural sun protection.
3. Dark chocolate – Pack your diet with cocoa flavanols found in dark chocolate, It helps hydrate skin and improves blood circulation. In a study, women that ate high flavanol cocoa powder drink each day for 12 weeks had less skin roughness and scaliness compared to a control group. They ate the equivalent of 3.5 ounces of dark chocolate, but you can get the benefit with a smaller 1 oz portion as well.
4. Oatmeal – Whole-grain oatmeal is a better pick for breakfast over a toast and jam. Refined sugar and carbohydrates trigger the body to manufacture insulin. This increases production of hormones called androgens and that triggers sebaceous glands in skin to emit oil that, when trapped in pores, cause pimples For sweetness in oatmeal, added chopped fruit.
5. Sardines – A 3.5 oz serving of sardines contain 1.5 g of omega-3 fatty acids, making the fish one of the best sources of the type of omega-3 fat called DHA. DHA is an anti-inflammatory. which known as a key cause of acne eating omega-3s, also found in salmon, will help keep your skin clear and healthy.
6. Garlic – Garlic has large amount of allicin, which has antifungal, anti-aging and skin smoothing benefits. It is also known to increase antioxidant levels in the skin and body. Garlic can even fight moles. Sulphur levels in garlic stops infection and helps reduce inflammation. It also enhances blood flow, and gives skin a natural glow.
Want to read more skin healthy foods? Read this.